Friday, May 29, 2009

Auntie and Uncle

I haven't been anywhere new to eat all week.  Swift Half and Varga open around 4pm, so don't try and go there for lunch (for now).  Varga didn't have their hours posted online, only "Lunch, Dinner, Late Night" so I was annoyed when I pulled up to a closed shop for lunch yesterday.

I am going to briefly write about a couple of the few spots from the Toronto trip.  First of all, Philadelphia has a superb restaurant scene.  While I truly believe that Jonny, Tim and I hit up the best brunch spot in the city (at least
 top three), I rattled off a half dozen from my hometown that topped it.  

So Sunday morning in Toronto we roll up to Auntie and Uncles.  At 10am we had to wait about 25 minutes for an outdoor table, which wasn't bad at all.  The decor on the place totally rocks.  It's a tiny spot, and most of the tables are outside.  There's an awing that can extend to cover the whole dining area, which is great.  Inside is decorated with cool, old kitchen and home antiques.  All the food was cooked in an open kitchen right in the middle of the joint.  Everything about this place was cool.  

Our servers were very nice and mostly attentive.  The menu was pretty small, but everything looked great, and no one minded.  There were also a few specials for the day.  I really could have ordered a few things off the menu and been happy with my choice.  We all put our orders in and enjoyed the perfect weather.  I had the breakfast burger, which was delicious, from the bread and meat to all of the toppings.  Best part was the potato salad that came on the side.  I'm not sure how they make it, but it's super.  All of the food here was delicious (I tired Tim's fish tacos as well) and the portions were perfect.

The best part might have been the price.  Compared to what we normally pay in Philly, this place was cheap! $35 brunch for three with coffee and a nice tip?  You bet.  If you're in Toronto, I recommend making the trip out to this great little spot.

3 comments:

hatchy said...

so what's on a breakfast burger? sounds intriguing.

wgkealey said...

Beef pattie with a fried egg. South Philly Taproom has an awesome breakfast burger.

Jonny Rashid said...

I enjoyed it, too. I didn't like that I had to wait in line, as opposed to the Sabrina's "blob" of people.