Thursday, May 21, 2009

Dock Street

I've been to Dock Street several times, but haven't had a chance to write about it. I stopped by last night with a few friends. We waited a while for an outdoor table, which was worthwhile because it was so nice. Dock street was pretty busy, inside and out, so it was pretty weird that they weren't taking names for tables. The whole place seemed to be understaffed, and possibly suffers from poor management.

On my other trips to Dock St the service was good, but last night it was terrible. The table we had been waiting for was sitting uncleared for quite a while, so we just decided to sit down before someone else took "our" table. After waiting about twenty minutes without our server stopping by, I headed into the bar to buy drinks. The food order took about an hour to come out, and wasn't brought over to our table until we tracked down the server and asked about it. I have had great service here in the past, so it's safe to say the service is hit or miss.

For food, Dock St excels at pizza. They have several different specialty pizzas that are great thin crust guys made in an open wood-burning stove. There are also sandwiches and appetizers on the menu, but I recommend sticking to the pies. Dock St is a respectable micro brewery that serves up pints, pitchers, and growlers of their own beers. In fact, they only tap their own beer. They usually have a selection of about five brews that rotate with some regularity. Last night I had the summer session, a light wheat beer with a lemon grass flavor, and the hoppy Bohemian pilsner. Both were good beers. I've always been able to find something on their tap list that suits my mood and palate.

Dock St has a great open atmosphere with a long bar and lots of seating. It was great to sit outside on such a nice day, too.

Bottom Line: Despite my negative experience last night, overall I think Dock St is a good stop. They make great beers that aren't widely found in other places across the city. They change beers and have enough variety to make regular stops dynamic enough. The pizza is good, especially for sharing with three or four people. It's one of the better stops in the neighborhood.

Essentials:
701 S 50th St (50th and Baltimore)
(215) 726-2337
Avg Ent: 5-9, Large pie: 12-18
Cash only: No
Reservations: No

2 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

I'm glad you didn't write it off based on our experience. I hope you can try that Berliner Weisse soon.

hatchy said...

I'm pretty anti-Dock Street. The beer is just average for brew pub fare (which I consider to be below average for beers in general), though there are possibly some more specialized varieties that could be good that I haven't had. The pizza is actually pretty decent, but does take a while to appear. But, I really don't like the space, the open room makes everything really loud, too loud.