Monday, May 18, 2009

Nudy's Cafe


The best part about writing this post is that I've finally found a decent way to transfer pictures from my phone to my computer without too much loss of quality. Pictures add a lot to a post, and while I really try to focus on writing, it's nice to have an image to share too.

I had to make a trip outside of the city this weekend, and I wanted to stop at a new place for breakfast. I had heard about Nudy's cafe, all the way out in Wayne, and I was excited to see what it was all about.

Nudy's is off a small street, and there were cars parked along the side of the street; the parking lot was full and there were still more people pouring. Amazingly, Holly Z and I only waited about five minutes for a table. There are two really great outdoor seating areas, one is covered so you can still eat outside if it's drizzling a bit. Inside Nudy's is a bustling little diner scene as well.

Immediately I noticed how cheap the prices are. Living in the city I have come to expect to pay at least $10 for brunch, but nothing at Nudy's topped $8. I ordered Crab Benedict, which included poached eggs, lump crab meat, and asparagus on English muffins with Hollandaise sauce. Holly ordered one of their "signature" omelets.


Our food came out quickly, and overall the service was excellent. Our server was friendly and attentive, and didn't rush us despite the fact that he was obviously busy.

I'm not sure if it's because of my high expectations for this specific location, or the kind of bruncheries I frequent in the city, but I was disappointed with Nudy's. First off, the coffee was water flavored coffee; very weak. When my dish came out, I was disappointed with the meager two spears of asparagus, but it was even worse that they were limp and flavorless. In fact, my dish was bland on the whole. Holly seemed to agree for her meal as well. The best compliment we could agree on was that "It's better than Denny's."

Maybe for the area, this spot is great. Maybe I've become too much of a critic. Either way, I was not impressed with Nudy's. I might go here rarely if it was around the corner, but there's not a chance it's worth any driving. Which is sad, because it would be great to find an amazing and secluded place. Nudy's was still hoping, so apparently they are doing something right. Just not for me.

Essentials:
292 East Conestoga Rd (19087)
(610) 687-1345
Avg Ent: 5-8
Casn Only: No
Reservations: No

No comments: