Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Quick food update

Although I know that 90% or more people who read this are my friends who are just interested in what's going on with me, I'd like to think there's a few people who are checking in here because they want to see what I think of new restaurants. That being said, I haven't been to a new place in a while, the house stuff is keeping me busy. Three notes though:

I went back to Sketch and it's as great as I first thought. My recommendation is a medium rare kobe burger w/o cheese. The meat is flavorful enough; don't put cheese on it, and that's coming from a big cheeseburger fan. Try the chipotle spread if you like it spicy. Last time I went with Jonny R and we got free cookies because they messed up my order (or because someone was trying to hit on me or him). This place continues to impress me.

Varga is opening soon, and I think it's going to be great. I didn't see a date, but rumors are that it will be open within the next two weeks. I'm also looking forward to Good Dog's new spot in Northern Liberties.

Memphis Taproom has started charging for the beer tax. When you visit, you will now see a 10% increase on all beers. Without bashing one of my favorite bars, I will state that I believe their first year of business has gone extremely well, and probably are not hurting for money. It's better than raising all prices by $1, but paying $4.40 is just annoying. I hate getting change, and I'm not about to tip $1.60 either. I guess I should take my change purse (if I had one) next time I go. I may be looking for a new go to spot in or near my hood. Taking recommendations...

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

There's at least four new bars opening in the coming months that I'm excited about. We'll have to visit.

I'm over the beer tax, too. I think MTR and Local 44 are some of the best bars in the city, so whatever.