Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bishop's Collar

The prevailing mindset is that Fairmount is an area crowded (possibly overcrowded) with great bars.  It seems that when you're in the neighborhood, there are so many great places to choose from.  I disagree.  There are a few places that make the cut, most notably Bridig's and the Belgian cafe (I haven't been to the London Grill).  But the options aren't so great after that.  But I am now adding Bishop's Collar to the list of decent spots.

I met with my friend Quinn on a Friday night.  We wanted to watch playoff hockey, which was quite difficult with Cole Hamel's first game back.  There were some guys giving us a hard time for liking the Penguins (but it helps a lot to be with a cute girl) and it was pretty annoying.  Their attitude is probably why I could never start liking the Eagles or Flyers.  It seems like being a "Philly fan" is mostly based on blindly hating everyone else.  But that's a different story.

Beer: Bishop's Collar always has some kind of special, which is nice, even if it is only a dollar off something that I would never order.  They have a decent selection, with Harp and Guinness on tap, as well as nice local and regional beers like Yards, Bell's, Allagash, and Six Points.  Prices are mostly $5/pint, give or take a dollar.

I like the place, in terms of the building and the bar.  It's a long open room with a smaller bar and some tables in the back.  They have three nice TVs, and sports and Irish themed decorations.  They also have a decent outdoor seating section when the weather is nice.  The staff here is great.  The bartenders and servers were attentive and nice, more so than I've seen in a lot of other places.  The owner was also hanging out on a Friday night just checking on his business and seemed like a cool guy.

For food, the Bishops Collar does not disappoint.  Everything is under $10, and it is up to par with other beer bars.  They have a nice mix of different kinds of food and a decent amount of vegetarian options.  On any giving night you can grab a burger, chicken sandwich, quesadilla, or similar dish.  The kitchen was a bit slow when it got busy, but everyone around me seemed to be enjoying their food.

Bottom Line: It's not the best bar, but it sure is good.  I was searching for a place that wasn't a sports bar, but would have the sports I wanted to watch, and I really think this is one of the best spots in the city.  The food can't be beat at the price.  It's a good place for your evening, or just a drink as you are passing by.  Either way, the Bishop's Collar is a win.

Essentials:
2349 Fairmount Ave (24th and Fairmount)
(215) 765-1616
Avg Ent: 6-9
Cash Only: Takes cards, ATM on-site
Reservations: No

2 comments:

Quinn said...

I had to have Comcast fix my TV on Tuesday and the guy that came tried giving me a hard time about the Steelers. I gave him a little piece of my mind, but for the record, he started it...

Jonny Rashid said...

I think it's solid, but I only choose Bishop's Collar over Bridgid's if they have a special or something interesting on draft. I apply that same rule to Belgian Cafe, but realize that Belgian Cafe may have a special or a better beer more often.