Friday, May 15, 2009

Standard Tap

I went to the Standard Tap recently. For some reason, I had been avoiding it in the past few months.  My avoidance was passive; I think there are a few better spots within walking distance. Still, when the weather gets just right, it's hard to beat the roof deck.  Also, I heard that Standard Tap has a slamming burger.  And with my Mom was in town it was a great night to grab dinner closeby.

Beer selection at Standard Tap closely mimics Johnny Brenda's: slightly overpriced, but with the availability of pitchers.  Again, like JB, your best bet in terms of price and quality is from a local brewery (PBC or Yard's).  Other taps include choices from Troeg's, Victory, Stoudt's and Dogfish Head.  The tap list is adequate, but not the reason to visit this joint.

The food at Standard Tap is good.  They have two different sections on the menu: sandwiches and entrees.  The entrees sound delicious and are pretty large, but have a substantial increase in price compared to the sandwiches.  I had the burger, and it certainly is good.  But that's all I can say.  To be fair, my hamburger standards are extremely high.  I finished my meal satisfied, but not impressed.  The burger is thick and juicy, so if you just want a lot of meat, this might be your favorite burger.  The bun and toppings are better than average, too.  I was with my mom, Chris (Hi mom!) and her husband , Charlie.  Charlie enjoyed his salmon BLT, and Mom had the portobello sandwich, which was probably the best out of our three dishes.  We were too full for dessert, but I like that they offer four different options.

For the few times I've been at the Standard Tap, I've come to expect subpar service.  While this past time I had the best service I've experienced here, the staff could be a bit more attentive and friendly.

While everything at the Standard Tap is average or better, the atmosphere is the part that puts it over the top.  Downstairs includes a nice bar and great tables to chill in a dark, relaxed atmosphere.  Upstairs has a smaller bar, and some bigger rooms and tables for larger groups.  And as already mentioned, the outdoor deck is the best spot around.  Really, it can't be beaten on a nice summer eve.  

Bottom Line:  The Standard Tap is good.  It serves a specific purpose, but with such a variety of options for food and beer within a stone's throw, it's hard to really campaign for the Standard Tap.  That being said, you'll probably see me there a few times this summer.  Because no matter what I say, you can't beat a few pitchers of good beer overlooking NoLibs with s nice breeze.

Essentials:
901 N 2nd Street (2nd and Poplar)
(215) 238-0630
Avg Ent: 9-16
Cash Only: No
Reservations: No (ask the bartender upstairs for a spot on the deck)

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

Standard Tap and Johnny Brenda's both, have the hipster popularity to not bother directly competing with any other bars. The advantages of having local beer is that its available and inexpensive (compared to imports) and when you're main demographic is ignorant--you don't need to change anything. Roof deck lures me there, too, though.