Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Bread and Brewery

Last weekend, Saturday was a perfect day. I joined Jesse's Beer by Bike (photo credits) ride to do a 25 mile-ish bike ride out to Earth Bread and Brewery in Mt. Airy. As the name states , Earth only really serves up flat bread pizza and beer. They are a microbrewery, and only had two of their own beers available. Despite that, they have a decent selection.

For lunch, I had the seed flatbread. The pizza was topped with pine nuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and roasted garlic. It was delicious, and a great deal at $6. The rest of the group ordered all different kinds of flatbread, and with the exception of the traditional (which just looked like a tomato pie with a small pile of basil in the middle) everything looked great. I followed up my pizza with a cheese plate appetizer. It was mediocre, and at $9, I was wishing I has ordered more pizza instead.

For beer, I tried both of Earth's brews. They serve up two sizes of everything; 13 oz for $3.75 and 20oz for $5. For the beers on tap, these are decent prices. Monkey Brain Tonic (terrible name) was my first beer, which is a light Belgian ale at 2.8%. Since we had just taken the huge bike ride, this beer was so refreshing. I had their barley wine also, which was fine. It was nothing remarkable, but I was impressed since it was made in house.

Earth has a small bar and a few tables. There is also an upstairs dining area, but it wasn't open while I was there. There is an open brewing and kitchen area, complete with the brick oven right out in the open. It has a very cool atmosphere, and would be a great place to take kids. Jesse's kids, Jane and Maruke, watched the cook making pizza for quite some time. The one thing that I loved is that they are really working with the Earth theme. There were a few full cool maps covering the walls and some globes in strategic locations around the restaurant. The theme is right up my alley.

The bartender was cool, pretty diligent for how many people he was serving, and did a great job keeping all of the checks separate. For some reason, however, I have the feeling (and have heard) that Earth doesn't have very good service.

Bottom Line: I was pleased with Earth, but with the lack of variety, it will be a long time before I visit again. Earth is fine, and if it was around the corner I'd stop by every now and again. It's definitely good enough to check out at least once.

Essentials:
7136 Germantown Ave (Germantown and Durham)
215.242.MOON (6666)
Avg Ent: 6-15
Cash Only: No
Reservations: No

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

Earth doesn't have good service, I can vouch for that. I like its commitment to session ales a lot, and I think that seed flatbread is amazing. It's O.K. that they have other breweries beers there (but doesn't make much sense to me).

I also had the cheese plate once and I thought it was a great selection of cheese (and not enough bread), but my server couldn't tell me a thing about it! On top of that, she knew nothing about the beers either. That was the most frustrating party.