Friday, April 24, 2009

Homebuying week 10

House things have been going crazy this week. As much as everyone seemed to be pushing for an early closing, it's not going to happen. I initially thought I could close April 17, then hoped for today, and am now looking at April 30; but this date seems firm.

Over the last few weeks I have been working on some grant applications. Largely due to ignorance on my part, I may have invalidated some of these grants. The lender and title company are very involved in the grant process. I thought I just showed up ready to close and it didn't matter where the money came from, whether 100% from me, or 50% me and 50% grants, ect. Not true. Also, the bank was slow with everything, and two grants needed a settlement notice to finish processing, which I didn't get until this week. Still, the ultimate responsibility falls to me.

So, Wednesday when I found out that there was a lack of information about the grants for the title company and the bank, things blew up. I sent 27 emails over the course of the day, in addition to a bunch of phone calls, about house related things.

I still am unsure if I am going to be eligible for all of the grants. The good news is that the house stuff, aside from what I've said above, seems to be moving. Still, settlement on April 30th could get really crazy, and probably will if the last week and month are any indication of my luck in the homebuying process. Best part: Jonny and I have a lease that ends April 30th, so if settlement gets pushed, things will get quite interesting.

No comments: