Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Race Street Cafe

I would have never thought the Race street cafe was a serious bar or restaurant. I passed by it dozens of time without even realizing so. With its proximity to the major tourist district, it could stay probably in business with mediocrity made unimportant by prime location. Race Street is an easy place to get to if you're on a bicycle, kind of inconvenient otherwise. The guys working there were nice enough to make change for the meter. A quarter only gets you 7.5 minutes now, so there's a real need to stock up.

There is an impressive tap menu with 15 taps, one being a hand pump. There was a great mix of all kinds of different beers, and I love a place that strives to have a few brews that aren't found elsewhere in the city. I had a Summit Pale Ale, which I've never even heard of before, and it complemented my food well.

For atmosphere, the bar is really nice. There are three tables outside, and I think it's really nice to eat outside when the weather is great. They even have a dish for water for dogs when you're outside. There is a nice wooden bar, and although I was barely inside, it seemed like a great spot. I went with Jonny and we arrived shortly after the opening time, so the waiters weren't too attentive. The menu had a good mix; this is a great brunch spot, and I image it's even better for dinner. I ordered a frittata, which came with their "brunch salad." My meal was excellent. Jonny had some kind of Mexican themed breakfast, which also looked good. I was really impressed with the food.

Bottom Line: This is easily one of the best bars in the Olde City area. Still, it's not remarkable. I'd like to give it a shot again, and see how it is on a weekend night. With a great menu, and an ample supply of beer, Race Street could be a regular spot for almost anyone.

Essentials:
208 Race St (2nd and Race)
(215) 627-6181
Avg Ent: 8-13
Cash Only: No
Reservations: No

2 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

Yeah, I agree that it's one of the best spots. Especially for lunch, mainly because the bar isn't dark like Eulogy's or Triumph's. I can't imagine I'd hit it up at night, though.

Joshua Grace said...

yeah if you can get to sit outside it's pretty good