Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fishtown Kensington Restaurant Week


Jonny told me a few days ago that a local restaurant week was being organized. I love the idea of Philadelphia's restaurant week: literally hundreds of restaurants that I normally wouldn't go to offering fixed prices menus at $30. It's a great deal, especially when a restaurant is more pricey than I want to pay.

An organized restaurant week for Fishtown, Kensington and Port Richmond could be great.But I checked out the list of participating restaurants, and I was pretty disappointed.

I don't believe that a $30 meal at Hinge Cafe or Johnny Brenda's is any kind of deal. Further, with only twelve restaurants participating, there's not even much variety.

To be fair, I still love the idea. Because this is the first year, it is possible that the concept could catch on. But there isn't a single deal listed that is worth making a special trip.

I'm not going to bash any of the establishments because I like supporting local businesses. Hinge Cafe is a great spot, and Jonny Brenda's is far too popular for anything I say to make a difference (JB is overrated).

Put me on the committee to organize next years week. Off the top of my head, I think Memphis Taproom, Tachonelli's and Ekta would all hop on this. And there's plenty more to tap in to.

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

Johnny Brenda's sucks. I'll say it again. Johnny Brenda's sucks.

Although, I think the Standard Tap is a good bar. Recently, I've been resold on it.