Monday, April 6, 2009

Jose's Mexican Food

I like Mexican food a lot, so I'm naturally going to gravitate toward a place that is rumored to have the best burritos in town. Because of Jose's weird location and hours, I hadn't made it out there until recently. To be fair, the advertised hours are reasonable, but I went around 1pm on a Saturday before and found the place closed up tight.

Jose's is a tiny place with a great deal of character. Four small tables fill the space not occupied by the kitchen. Meanwhile, a TV in the corner of the room blares Telemundo (or another Spanish TV station. I'll admit I'm quite ignorant in this department). The service was a bit weird with some confusion whether we should order at the counter or wait for someone to come over. Jose's doesn't really focus on service or decor, so I won't either.

Really, the reason to come here is the food. Jose's also serves up Mexican Coke and Pepsi, which is made with real cane sugar. I couldn't taste much of a difference though. I ordered a chicken burrito, and it was well made and stuffed with fresh ingredients. On the downside, the meat was a bit dry. Also, the burrito came served alone, and I wished I had a bit of rice or a small salad to spruce my meal. I was with Ethan and Jonny and they both seemed to enjoy their meals.

Normally I would have been very happy with Jose's, but Que Chula has raised my standards for great, cheap Mexican food. Full disclosure: Jonny R prefers Jose's. Overall, it was a good meal, especially for under $10. Ethan and I rounded out our meals with homemade chocolate chip cookies ($.60) and that brought the whole experience up a notch.

Bottom Line: Jose's is good and has some exceptional lunch specials at $5 and $6. You might like Jose's a lot and I believe it's worth a least one try. I think tacos may be the best choice here. If nothing else, this place serves up authenticity in many ways.

Essentials:
469 N 10th St (10th and Buttonwood)
215-765-2369
Avg Ent: 6-8
Cash only: Yes
Reservations: No
BYOB: I'm not sure, but I think no.

2 comments:

lana bear said...

i need to try out some of these mexican food places. I miss good (real) mexican food..

Jonny Rashid said...

I appreciate the full disclosure. I will say this: I like the size of the portions at Jose's a lot more than the massive portions at Que Chula. I also thought that Que Chula was using old oil they cooked chicken in. All of the food tasted a bit off to me.