Monday, April 20, 2009

Sketch Burger

Before going to Sketch, I heard a lot of talk about the place. The general consensus was that they have good burgers, good shakes, and are bit pricey. I have wanted to check this place out ever since I heard they serve up Kobe-style burgers. Kobe cows are fed a beer a day, receive daily massages, and are raised and killed humanly. This is all done under the pretense that happy cows taste better.

Sketch is a tiny joint with three booths and a small bar running along the wall. It's painted with bright colors and has chalk boards along the walls (hence the name). You order at the counter and the servers bring out each item as soon as it's ready. It's a really fun way to enjoy the meal, although it was a bit awkward with my burger coming out first, and the fifth and last burger coming out about ten minutes later. I still think it's the best way to operate though. It also helps that ever single person working at Sketch is incredibly nice and seems like they're having a great time. Despite the small size, the atmosphere is great.

Even though Sketch is establishing itself as a burger joint, the menu is quite varied. In addition to their regular fare, they have rotating specials that include a salad, pulled pork, brisket and more. Sketch is also vegan friendly, and is willing to whip up a vegan shake or burger on request, and they looked delicious. Further, Sketch was right up my alley with fresh and locally sourced ingredients brought in daily. They are really striving to do everything correctly to create the most excellent burger.

I am constantly on the search for the best burger in Philadelphia, and I think I may have found it. I went with the Kobe beef, but I'm honestly not sure if I would be able to taste the difference between that and their regular burger. Next time I'll have to do a taste test. Everything, from my burger, to the shake, and the fries was so full of flavor.

Here's my note on the prices. Burgers are about $6, the Kobe burgers are $9.60. Cheese is $1 extra. A huge order of fries is $3, and shakes are $4.50. While that does sound a bit pricey, all of these are large enough that almost any normal person could fill up on half of the portion. Then, splitting a burger, shake and fries could be less than $20. Even if you want to eat the massive portions, the quality easily makes up for the price.

Bottom Line: I wrote so much more than usual because this is the most exciting new place I've been in a while. The are serious contenders for the best burger in town, and being within walking distance of my house makes this place just that much better. I highly recommend this place for anyone, and with all of the veg options, you really have no excuse not to go. (Unless you hate fun and/or delicious things.) Enjoy.

Essentials:
413 E Girard Ave (Girard and Columbia, near Bank of America)
(215) 634-3466
Avg Burger: 6-10
Cash Only: Yes, ATM on site
Reservations: No
BYOB: Sadly, no

2 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

Sounds great; do they serve any alcohol? Also, who'd you end up going with?

lana bear said...

haha..unless you hate fun and or delicious things..

I am glad to hear this- I too have wanted to check it out since it opened. I think I'll finally make the journey.

5 burgers! whoa!