Thursday, March 26, 2009

Homecookin' Part 1


I don't go out to eat enough to post about new restaurants 5 days a week. Not even close. I like the balance I have between making food at home and going out to eat. Eating out too often can be a real budget buster. On top of that, I genuinely like making food at home, so it all works out.

For this first edition of home cookin', I'm going to post the pictures from when Jonny and I made falafel. We used a mix, which is easy and still delicious. We mixed equal parts mix and water and allowed it to solidify in the refrigerator overnight. The hardest part of the whole meal was frying the falafel. If the mix has been cooling long enough, it's pretty easy to form small balls or patties. We heated a generous amount of oil in a pot, and then fried the falafel until golden brown, flipping when necessary.

The meal was perfected by the cucumber yogurt sauce. Jonny and I don't keep recipes, but the sauce was close to this:
1/2 med. cucumber peeled, seeded & chopped fine
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
Fresh Lemon juice

Add in some french fries, warmed pita, and lettuce and tomato tossed with cumin, and you have it. Overall, the work to taste ratio for this meal is VERY satisfying.

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

I'm so down for that.