Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Memphis Taproom

I regularly give the Memphis Taproom a hard time. That being said, I realize that it is one of the best bars in the city, and I am lucky to live within walking distance of it. The Memphis Taproom is a no frills beer bar that serves up an excellent menu and complements the food with an even better beer selection.

I can't go without mentioning beer week. Memphis Taproom ran a week-long event called "No Repeat Beer Week" where each time a keg kicked, a new beer was put on tap. For the whole week. It was impressively delicious.

The Taproom is a bit small, but it makes good use of its space. The front bar area is for people drinking, and the back dining room is only for those who are buying food. Because space is limited, this is a understandable request. The atmosphere is nice; homely and not overly decorated. The place can be a bit overwhelming when it's crowded, which is a regular occurrence. The Taproom doesn't have a happy hour, which would be a nice addition.

The staff is pretty great. I've never had a server who wasn't knowledgeable about the beers, and the food service is great too. The kitchen is a bit slow. But when I'm drinking a good beer, I tend not to notice as much. The suicide rings and the sandwiches (at $8 or $9) are the stars of the menu. I've also enjoyed brunch here a few times. The coffee is a bit strong for my taste, so I opt for the tasty Belgian witbier mimosa instead.

Bottom Line: This spot is great, and I'm glad it is in my neighborhood. I recommend checking out the tap list, waiting until something you really want to try is available, and checking out this excellent bar.

Essentials:
2231 E Cumberland St (Memphis and Cumberland)
215-425-4460
Avg Ent: 8-13
Cash only: No
Reservations: No
BYOB: No

2 comments:

Daddy said...

Yeah. Say what you will about gentrification: We have Memphis Taproom and Greensgrow, right next to each other. Sure beats a vacant lot and another Philly brawl bar.

Joshua Grace said...

i've never had a bad experience, there with staff. the food is always bangin. great beer for reasonable price.