Monday, March 30, 2009

Ida Mae's

Most of you are pretty familiar with this local breakfast spot, and it doesn't need much analysis. That being said, it's the only place I went out to eat this weekend, so here goes.

If Ida Mae's wasn't so close to my house, I probably wouldn't ever go. Don't get me wrong, it has some great stuff going on, but nothing spectacular enough to make me leave my neighborhood.

Here are the things I really like: Ida Mae's opens at 7am (around 7, they're usually a bit sluggish in the morning). Sometimes I want to grab an early breakfast and most spots are not open until 8am or later. For me, the location is pretty convenient, too. The price is right. My favorite item on the menu is the beans and toast, which clocks in at $6.00. Great deal. The food tastes good, and there are new specials weekly. Lastly, the coffee is acceptable, and I'm usually pretty harsh with my coffee tastes.

Even writing that last paragraph, it sounds like I am making a pretty strong argument for the Ida Mae's. But it's not perfect: Despite the specials, the menu is pretty limited and doesn't change that much. My biggest complaint is the service. Unless there are three parties or less, the service can almost be guaranteed to be less than average. Sometimes on the weekend the place gets a wait that is really not worth the wait. The whole place is small, but considering that, I think the setup and atmosphere is done rather well.

Bottom Line: Ida Mae's is good enough to keep me coming back every couple of months and I am glad that it's in my neighborhood. It gets bonus points for a commitment to local ingredients. But there's a lot of other places that top it.

Essentials:
2302 E Norris St (Norris and Tulip)
215-426-4209
Avg Ent: 6-11
Cash only: Yes
Reservations: No
BYOB: Maybe for a splash of Irish coffee

1 comment:

Jonny Rashid said...

Good review; I think it's a reliable place when in a pinch.