Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Prohibition Taproom

My first experience with the Prohibition Taproom was my housemate Jonny telling me that messed up his drink order and that he was not impressed. Despite that, I wanted to try out this new place.

Before I even walked in, I was greeted by an awesome sign pointing out the business. It's a simple neon red sign that tersely states "BAR." I like it a lot. Once inside, I was loving the atmosphere. The bar is really great, as you can kind of see in this picture. It runs the length of the room, but also has a few peninsulas. The result is that you can sit at the bar and be across from whoever you are with, which is a great feature.

As far as beer goes, PT does not disappoint. There are about ten beers on draft. Further, the choices represent a well thought out variety of brews. PT also supplies a nice bottle list as a supplement. I had the Dogfish Head Aprihop and Brooklyn Brewery Blunderbuss and enjoyed both beers.

I can seriously recommend to anyone to go to Prohibition Taproom for one reason: deep-fried green beans. This phenomenal appetizer is a great way to start your meal and comes with a nice aioli. The rest of the food was average. Between Lana, J.Mal, and myself, we ordered two burgers and a grilled cheese, and these three dishes were fine, nothing more. I was happy to be full, but the main dishes are the lowest point of the experience.

Friday night this place got a little crazy, with a crowd from art museum area and plenty of "bros." Don't make this your Friday or Saturday night hangout spot.

Bottom Line: I like this new place. It has good atmosphere, beer, and one excellent appetizer. Prohibition Taproom has made it onto my list of bars to regularly visit. The biggest downside are the hours. No lunch, no brunch, and the bar opens at 4pm.

Essentials:
501 N 13th St (13th and Spring Garden)
215-238-1818
Avg Ent: 8-13
Cash only: No
Reservations: No
BYOB: No

2 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

The fact that you'll usually have something good or interesting to drink with the amazing green beans is why this place is better than many other similar bars. Good review.

Joshua Grace said...

..."if i were a bro..."

are the green beans breaded?