Wednesday, March 11, 2009

House Inspection



This week has been a whirlwind so far. I've been feeling like stuff I normally enjoy doing has been taking more than a normal amount of effort. It's not fun to feel that way, and it's the reason I haven't written about my home inspection yet, but here goes:

I showed up at the property around 4:30 and met Jeff, Reid from US Inspect, and the seller's agent Tim. I also met Rod, the owner, but he didn't stick around for long. Reid was a great inspector and I would recommend him to anyone. The inspection itself went pretty well. It was a three hour intense investigation of everything that is wrong with the house, and that can seem pretty daunting.

Jeff told me that it went really well, and he has a lot of other inspection to use as comparison. Personally, I just felt like there was a huge list of problems with the place; a lot of minor things that I'm willing to overlook, and a few major things that need to be fixed.

Here are the major things: The chimney and furnace do not look good. The solution to solve both of these problems involves sealing off the chimney and installing a high efficiency heating system that doesn't use a chimney. It's a great solution, and I'd love to have a nice, efficient furnace, but it's also expensive.

The roof is getting old, and will have to be replace in the next few years. That's fine, but it immediately needs a silver coating to prevent leaks and extend the life a bit more.

There are some gaps between the joists where they meet the wall where I can see crumbling brick, and at one point, into the neighbor's kitchen. That's a major issue, but a relatively easy fix.

That's the big, bad stuff. Little bad stuff involves replacing some mortar, capping some window frames, repairing or replacing a few windows, a few ungrounded outlets, a small leak in the bathroom sink, and some siding damage.

And now good news: Structurally, all walls are solid. There is new electric service and it looks good. No termites. Everything in the kitchen works. I met two of the neighbors, and they seem really nice too. I'm sure I'll write about them more in the future. I'm starting to get attached to this place.

A few hours after the inspection, Reid sent out a detailed 24 page report that includes all of the problems, suggested repairs and costs, and pictures. It was a great part of the home buying process and really made me understand the place that I am looking to buy. Nothing came up in the inspection that is too big of a problem to fix.

Jeff and I are going to work on a letter that is a revised offer in light of the inspection results. I'm going to ask for a credit towards the purchase of a new furnace and that a few other repairs take place. More info as it comes in.

3 comments:

Jonny Rashid said...

Thanks for keeping us posted. I didn't realize that the list was that extensive; I'm glad you're cool about it.

Unknown said...

I hate that these people that flip houses like that or mine, are doing all cosmetic work and avoiding things that matter. Mind you I have all new plumbing, electrical, and hvac but everything else was done terribly, and stuctural issues... well lets just spray foam that. I'd see if theyll give you money back for the roof(isn't that the point of living indoors) and structural repairs. those inspection reviews are rough to look at, its like looking at your pores with a magnifying glass.

Anonymous said...

its great to be able to read about your process... Danielle and I met with Jeff recently...so we learned a lot, but we're probably not gonna move nearly as fast as you are. I know its a good time, but our lack of credit might hold us back for a while